Butler is making every day count!

So, you’re committed to empowering your education, because you’re choosing Butler this fall. Well, Butler is matching your committment with its latest initiative to remind students that “Every Day Counts”.

Beginning this Fall, Butler will begin its “No Late Enrollment” campaign … which means that once a class has its first meeting, no more students will be allowed to enroll for the course.

So what does that mean for you? 

Research shows that students are more successful when they attend the first day of class and maintain attendance throughout the semester. As of the upcoming fall semester, classes can be added via Pipeline up until the day prior to the class start. Advisors can enroll you on the day of the first class so long as you talk to them before the class meets. After the first class meets? The class is locked. 

What if I really needed that class?

Some (very limited) special exceptions will be made for late enrollment, under extraordinary circumstances. But if you don’t qualify for those special exceptions, don’t fret. To manage this new initiative, Butler has added a host of 12- and 8-week classes that may still suit your class needs and will allow you to enroll in time for the first class. Just ask your advisor what the best options are for you.

Why is Butler doing this?

“Institutions across the country are moving in this direction to facilitate student learning,” says vice president of student services Bill Rinkenbaugh. “The League for Innovation, the Higher Learning Commission, and other organizations have cited this move as a positive step to benefit students. Students who begin on the second or third class meeting are already behind and miss out on very important information to be successful in the class.”

With the goal of ensuring student success in mind, Butler spoke with employees from San Jacinto Community College in Texas, which implemented a no late enrollment policy in fall 2011. Johnson County Community College also has a no late enrollment policy. They indicated that out of all the students who enrolled after classes started 40 percent dropped out and that of the remaining enrollees, 60 percent didn’t pass the class and 80 percent that finished the course had one letter grade lower than normal. 

In Spring 2012, approximately 200 students enrolled after classes began at Butler. Rinkenbaugh and others at Butler hope that by eliminating that number altogether, they can make a positive impact on student success rates. 

“We want to provide every opportunity for students to be successful,” says Butler dean for enrollment management Jessica Ohman. “Making sure that students are enrolled before the first day will increase the student’s likelihood for success. Of course the student has to do their part by attending class and actively participating.”
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: